How wonderful it would be to say goodbye to the year with an amazing and memorable vacation at any of the best December destinations in the world which you were always willing to travel. December is traditionally the month when people all over the world go on their winter vacations with the temptation of sneaking in a period worth of sun at a sultry paradise during the cold and harsh winter months is definitely irresistible at some of the best places to travel in December in the world. This is the best duration when nature and surroundings offer you the best time to spend your amazing vacation. Here is the list of some amazing places you would love to add in your bucket list while planning your vacation in December.
Krabi – Paradise of sheer limestone cliffs
One of the first destinations that come to mind of any traveler recollecting the best countries to travel in December would be Thailand. Krabi, on southern Thailand’s west coast, is a province characterized by craggy, sheer limestone cliffs, dense mangrove forests, and more than a hundred offshore islands. Some of its most popular beach destinations include the Phi Phi Islands, which jut from the sea like giant rainforested boulders, and Railay Beach, accessible only by boat and a prominent rock-climbing spot.
- Famous For: Phi Phi Islands, Ao Nang, Ko Phi Phi Don, Ko Lanta
- Things to shop: Elephant pants, soap carvings, Thai tribal handicrafts
- Things to do In Krabi: Phi Phi Islands, Railay Beach, Ko Lanta Yai, and Ko Poda
- Weather in December: Krabi experiences a dry season from December to March. December, while still being one of the coolest months in Krabi, has generally warm temperatures. Average Temperature: 27°C, with the highest rising to 32°C and the lowest being 24.5°C.
The Maldives – The Romantic Signature
The Maldives are known for their natural environment including the blue ocean, white beaches, and clean air. The climate of the Maldives is ideal for visitors to get engaged in water sports such as swimming, fishing, scuba diving, snorkeling, water-skiing. windsurfing and kiteboarding. Counted as honeymoon spot is of the most romantic location with the luxurious living. The small islets, incredible resorts, aqua blue water, and pristine beaches make the Maldives is in the priority list for best places in the world to travel in December.
- Famous For: Male, Maafushi, Addu City, Fulhadhoo, Fulidhoo
- Things to shop: miniature boats, soap and bathing products, mats,
- Things to do in the Maldives: Snorkeling, Overnight stay in a water villa and dine at an underwater restaurant.
- Weather in December: The temperature lies between 25 to 30 degrees Celsius but it is also the rainiest month in the Maldives. While the first half receives some of the most intense showers and very little sunshine, the second half of December experiences a dry spell with mild sea breezes and balmy weather. Rainfall averages around 232 mm, making December amongst the rainiest month. The temperature deviates from 25 to 29 degrees Celsius.
Goa – Goan sausages and seafood
The state of Goa, in India, is famous for its beautiful beaches, nightlife party, Safety & Hospitality, carnival, Water sports. Beautiful beaches: Goa is a city of beaches and warm sunshine with more than 70 beaches. The most popular beach in Goa is the Baga beach. Goa experiences moderate weather conditions during the month of December. The average temperatures range from 22 to 33 degrees. Also, this is the month when the biggest festival, the Sunburn Festival is organized in Goa.
- Famous For: Palolem Beach, Patnem Beach, Colomb Beach, Aguada Fort, Basilica of Bom Jesus, ‘Queen of Beaches’ in Goa, Calangute Beach
- Things To Do in Goa: Party, beaches, shacks
- Things to shop: Sarongs, pheni, cashew nut, spices, kokum
- Weather in December: December is the perfect time to take a trip to Goa as the weather is amazing. The weather is extremely pleasant and all activities, restaurants, shacks are open. Parties are in full swing and beaches like Vagator, Baga, Anjuna are brimming even after dark with party-goers.
Bali – black sand beaches and Balinese
Bali is an Indonesian island known for its forested volcanic mountains, iconic rice paddies, beaches, and coral reefs. If you are wondering about when to travel, then December is a great month to head to this paradise. The island is home to religious sites such as cliffside Uluwatu Temple. To the south, the beachside city of Kuta has lively bars, while Seminyak, Sanur, and Nusa Dua are popular resort towns. The island is also known for its yoga and meditation retreats. Bali appeals through its sheer natural beauty of looming volcanoes and lush terraced rice fields that exude peace and serenity. It is also famous for surfers’ paradise, Bali is a complete package in itself, and one of the best places to travel in December.
- Famous For: Ubud, Kuta, Nusa Dua
- Things to do in Bali: Resorts, recreation, sightseeing
- Things to shop: Bali batik, coffee and chocolates, wood figures and handicrafts, woven bags
- Weather in December: The average temperature stays around 27 degrees Celsius, and drops barely to a minimum of 25 degrees, keeping the air a bit humid throughout. But, despite the fewer hours of sunshine and more of downpours, December is a great time to travel Bali.
Mauritius – Wonderful white beaches
Mauritius is also counted as honeymoon destination of the world, Mauritius, an Indian Ocean island nation, is known for its beaches, lagoons, and reefs. The mountainous interior includes Black River Gorges National Park, with rainforests, waterfalls, hiking trails and wildlife like the flying fox. Capital Port Louis has sites such as the Champs de Mars horse track, Eureka plantation house, and 18th-century Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Botanical Gardens. Mauritius has a lot of deluxe resorts and hotels for benevolence. The sandy beaches with turquoise clear waters, make Mauritius one of the best places to travel in December.
- Famous For: Black River Gorges National Park, le aux Cerfs, Seven Colored Earth
- Things to do in Mauritius: Recreation, hiking, snorkeling, sightseeing
- Things to shop: Phoenix beer, rum, dodo artifacts, colored earth
- Weather in December: Like most islands in the Indian Ocean, December in Mauritius is summertime. The temperature starts getting warmer by October, with relatively cooler evenings and nights. The temperature ranges from 30 to 35 degrees Celsius during the day and 20 to 24 degrees Celsius at night.
Miami – Capital of Latin America
Miami is one of the most amazing and well-known destinations to travel in December in the world. Miami, officially the City of Miami, is the seat of Miami-Dade County, and the cultural, economic and financial center of South Florida in the United States. The city covers an area of about 56 square miles between the Everglades to the west and Biscayne Bay to the east.
Though it’s best known for its gorgeous white sand beaches, you can find one of the country’s biggest (snow) skiing clubs in Miami Beach. 13. Miami is a diver’s paradise: dubbed the “Wreckreational Diving Capital of the World,” its waters boast 50 different underwater wreck sites for SCUBA enthusiasts to explore. It is one of the best warm places to travel in December. It is one of the best places to travel in December in Europe.
- Famous For: Miami Seaquarium, Vizcaya Museum and Gardens, Lincoln Road, and Coral Castle
- Things to do in Miami: beaches, skiing, diving
- Things to shop: Cigars, local jams, key lime products
- Weather in December: The temperature in Miami is between 19 to 23 degrees Celsius. December is a great time to travel Miami. Around this time of year, they hang beautiful lights on the palm trees on the most popular areas, really giving Miami the out of the ordinary festive feel
Dubai – Arab Gulf Tiger
Dubai is a city and emirate in the United Arab Emirates known for luxury shopping, ultramodern architecture, and a lively nightlife scene. Burj Khalifa, an 830m-tall tower, dominates the skyscraper-filled skyline. At its foot lies Dubai Fountain, with jets and lights choreographed to music. On artificial islands just offshore is Atlantis, The Palm, a resort with water and marine-animal parks.
Dubai is home to the world’s tallest building, the fastest Rollercoaster, and the world’s biggest water park, Dubai is an irresistible dream vacation for all travelers who love an adventure. This is definitely one of the best places to travel in December.
- Famous For: Burj Khalifa, Desert Safari, Gold Souk, Palm Jumeirah, and Wild Wadi Waterpark.
- Things to do in Dubai: Nightlife, sightseeing, shopping, sky-scrappers
- Things to shop: Perfumes, Oudh, dates, pashmina gold, and electronics
- Weather in December: Most suitable time to travel Dubai in December, as the weather is pleasant and apt for sightseeing, and indulging in outdoor activities. Dubai temperature in December ranges from 26°C to 14°C. Travel Dubai in winter to have a fantabulous time on your vacation.
Best Places To Travel In December On a Budget:
Most places have a pleasant climate in December and winter months, and this sends the prices of airfares and hotels and room rates soaring but if you are willing to spend a memorable vacation without harming your pocket. Then the places listed below are definitely your and must be included in your bucket list of December vacation 2020:
Madrid – Villa y Corte
Madrid is illuminated and decorated to ooze festive vibes. Madrid, Spain’s central capital, is a city of elegant boulevards and expansive, manicured parks such as the Buen Retiro. It’s renowned for its rich repositories of European art, including the Prado Museum’s works by Goya, Velázquez and other Spanish masters. The heart of old Hapsburg Madrid is the portico-lined Plaza Mayor, and nearby is the baroque Royal Palace and Armory, displaying historic weaponry.
Madrid’s Puerta del Sol is probably the city’s most famous spot. Among other things, it is well known for being the place where people gather on December 31 to celebrate the New Year. On top of that, the square is also the point where all of Spain’s six major roads start. The city with madness and full of spirit is definitely one of the best places to travel in December.
- Famous For: Plaza Mayor, Central Madrid, Museo Nacional Del Prado, Buen Retiro Park are some of the most popular places to travel
- Things to do in Madrid: Museum, boulevards, parks and gardens
- Things to shop: Churros, Shawls, thimbles, Majórica Pearls
- Weather in December: It gets cold in Madrid in December with temperatures between 4 to 10 degrees Celsius. The average temperature is 7 degrees Celsius. Sunny in the mornings, chilly in the evenings.
- You should plan to spend around $108 per day on your vacation in Madrid, which is the average daily price based on the expenses of other visitors.
- Past travelers have spent, on average, $27 on meals for one day and $16 on local transportation. Average budget per head for 5 days (excluding flights): 756.61 $
Cape Town – Table Mountain and Cape Point
The city is known for its harbor, for its natural setting in the Cape Floristic Region, and landmarks such as Table Mountain and Cape Point. Cape Town is a port city on South Africa’s southwest coast, on a peninsula beneath the imposing Table Mountain. Slowly rotating cable cars climb to the mountain’s flat top, from which there are sweeping views of the city, the busy harbor, and boats heading for Robben Island, the notorious prison that once held Nelson Mandela, which is now a living museum. If you are looking for fun beyond the beaches, there’s the Table Mountain, a great winery called the Groot Constantia, the National Gallery of Art, and a fantastic monument called the Rhodes Memorial with a restaurant on top that provides a breathtaking view. If you’re fond of panoramic beaches, white sandy banks, and a vibrant nightlife scene it is the right place for experiencing one of the best places to travel in December in the world not only that it is one of the best places to travel in December for couples.
- Famous For: Table Mountain, National Botanical Garden, Robben Island, Two Oceans Aquarium, and Castle of Good Hope
- Things to do In Cape Town: beach hopping, hiking to Table Mountain, wine tasting, visit Robben Island
- Things to shop: Diamonds, leather handbags, Ardmore ceramic art, beadwork craft
- Weather in December: In December Cape Town experiences its hottest weather with daytime temperatures often rising into the mid-’30s. Expect hot and cloudless days, long daytime hours, warm nights and little to no rain. December sees the occasional very windy day.
- You can plan to spend around $96 per day on your vacation in Cape Town, which is the average daily price based on the expenses of other visitors.
- Past travelers have spent, on average, $41 on meals for one day and $17 on local transportation. Average budget per head for 5 days (excluding flights): 546.45 $
Bhutan – The Land of Economic Freedom
Bhutan, a Buddhist kingdom on the Himalayas’ eastern edge, is known for its monasteries, fortresses (or dzongs) and dramatic landscapes that range from subtropical plains to steep mountains and valleys. In the High Himalayas, peaks such as 7,326m Jomolhari are popular trekking destinations. Paro Taktsang monastery (also known as Tiger’s Nest) clings to cliffs above the forested Paro Valley. Considered to be one of the best places to travel in December in the world, this landlocked gem is a treasure chest of beautiful monasteries, gorgeous valleys, magnificent fortresses, and all good things. Gangkhar Puensum is Bhutan’s highest peak and may also be the highest unclimbed mountain in the world. The wildlife of Bhutan is notable for its diversity. In South Asia, Bhutan ranks first in economic freedom, ease of doing business, and peace, and is the least corrupt country in the region.
- Famous For: Paro Taktsang, Punakha Dzong, Rinpung Dzong, Gangteng Monastery, National Museum of Bhutan, and more
- Things To Shop: Bhutanese Handicrafts, handwoven textiles, Himalayan beads, and postal stamps
- Things To Do In Bhutan: Trek to the Tiger’s Nest, visit the Buddhist temple of Kichu Lhakang, explore the National Museum of Bhutan, stay stunned by the Buddha Dordenma, explore Jigme Dorji National Park, and more
- Weather In December: Bhutan weather in December marks the beginning of winters and, hence, the temperature of Bhutan in December is moderately cool, skies are clear, and the place is not much crowded which creates an ideal environment for a trouble-free, and cost-effective Bhutan tour in December
- It will cost around 40$ for getting a Bhutan visa. Note, you have the only option to book an organized tour with a Government-authorized tour operator which would cost you 250$ per day. That includes everything like 3* hotel accommodation, food, and tour with a guide.
- Farmstays and homestays are available as cheap as US$20 per night. Food is mostly local and straightforward as most places practice sustainable tourism here. Travel is by bus or taxi. An average five day stay in Bhutan would cost US$200-300 per person.
The Philippines – Kitty of 7,641 islands
The Philippines is known for having an abundance of beautiful beaches and delicious fruit. The collection of islands is located in Southeast Asia and was named after King Philip II of Spain. The Philippines is made up of 7,641 islands, making it one of the largest archipelagos in the world.
- Famous For: Boracay, Chocolate hills, Panglao Islands, Mactan, Siargao Islands
- Things to shop: Souvenir shirts with tropical prints, dried mangoes, San Miguel beer, traditional accessories
- Things to do In Philippines: Surfing, island hopping, sunbathing, try delicious island cuisine
- Weather in December: Average daily temperatures during December range from 22°C to 32°C in Palawan, Cebu, Bohol, and the southern regions and from 21°C to 30°C in Luzon and the north. With favorable weather conditions, it’s no surprise that December is a popular time of year to travel to the Philippines.
- Stay in the Philippines can be insanely affordable as there are a plethora of backpackers hostels, dorms, and hotels available for around US$20. Local food is available at shacks on the beaches for less than a dollar.
- Island hopping is by public ferries, which is around US$4 per trip. You can plan a trip to the Philippines according to your budget. You could travel just one island or traverse the entire region as every island has the utmost beauty to offer.
- Average cost: Stay, food, and travel would cost around US$50 per day.
Sri Lanka – Pearl of the Indian Ocean
Sri Lanka is one of the best places to travel in December in the world as it is The most beautiful country known for its tear-drop shape. Sri Lanka’s tropical climate, sandy beaches, and incredible cuisine are just among the many reasons to include this beautiful South Asian country on your travel bucket list. This tiny island nation, otherwise known as the ‘Pearl of the Indian Ocean’, has fast become a popular tourist destination for holidaymakers. So for those who are yet to update their bucket list for 2020, make sure you do not miss out on this one!
- Famous For: Sigiriya, Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic, Dambulla Royal Cave Temple and Golden Temple, Adam’s Peak, and more.
- Things To Shop: Handloom items, spices, jewelry, and tea
- Things To Do In Sri Lanka: Trek atop Sigiriya, go hiking on Adam’s Peak, wildlife safari at Yala National Park, interact with the elephants at Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage, walk the sandy shore of Arugam Bay Beach, and more.
- Weather In December: The weather in Sri Lanka fluctuates between 22 to 31-degree Celsius on average in the month of December. December is usually a good month to travel to Sri Lanka. Along the western and southern coast, the rainfall starts to decline; plenty of sunshine and dry days are expected means the peak beach conditions return. Kandy & the Hill country stay a brilliant green for the rains they have received from monsoon season.
- You can get a Sri Lanka visa for 30USD. You can get it on arrival or apply it online from its official website.
- You can go to Sri Lanka by railway and bus transportation. Otherwise, you can also hire a taxi, although it can be more expensive.
- Sri Lanka is abundant in local homestays and guest houses. Even the locals let out their homes for short stays and provide food to travelers. So a holiday in Sri Lanka can be as cheap or as luxurious as you want it to be, without compromising on the experience.
- Average cost: Stay, food, and travel can cost US$80 per day.
Singapore – City of clean streets
Singapore is a city-state with about 5.6 million inhabitants. Singapore is known for its clean streets and its modern and tall buildings. It makes every effort to ensure that the streets are always kept clean bypassing some strict laws on vandalism, littering, public urination, and spitting on streets. The roots of the city originate from an amalgamation of cultures from all over Asia to morph into a modern society. You can enjoy a host of entertainment parks, theme parks, sounds and lightning, shopping areas, and delicious cuisines from all around the world. It is one of the best places to travel in December.
- Famous For: Sentosa Island, Gardens by the Bay, Merlin’s fountain, and Little India.
- Things to shop: orchid perfumes, miniature Merlions, coconut jam, laksa paste
- Weather in December: The weather is pleasant with temperatures lying between 25 to 31 degrees Celsius. Although Singapore is a year-round destination, the best time to visit Singapore is from December to June. The months of February to April fall within Singapore’s dry season and is typically when the country has the least amount of rain, the lowest humidity, and the most sunshine.
- A Singapore visa would cost you around 30 to 40$ (Processing fee 30 Singapore dollars + service fee extra if processed by authorized agents).
- Travel is by bus and metro rail which connects every nook and corner of the city. Food and Overall Cost can cost around $80 – $150 per day for one person depending on the area and standard of stay.
December is the month of holiday and you definitely don’t want to spend your days at home watching television and soaring popcorn. The places mentioned above with all specifications making it a must-read article before making your bucket list of places to travel in December 2020. I hope this article will inspire you to travel more and satisfy your wanderlust. Comment below and let us know on which destination you will spending your vacation and starting a new year?