Thanksgiving is all about being thankful for what you have and is traditionally celebrated having delicious turkey and luscious pumpkin pie with family and friends. But it can become more exciting and amazingly celebrated on a fun trip with your loved ones.
So here is the list of best thanksgiving getaways to hit to the trail and see how the rest of the realm celebrates.
Best Thanksgiving Getaways in the U.S.A
There might be nearby destinations to spend your thanksgiving wholeheartedly. Spend your this thanksgiving at your favorite destination with your favorite people.
New York City
- If you want to enjoy the thanksgiving at New York City then Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade is a must-watch, you need to bundle up and stake out a point along Central Park West or 6th Avenue.
- Spend your Thanksgiving in New York City admiring Museum of Natural History and then you will love watching them inflating the balloons in the late midday and twilight.
- While you are in town, you should plan on catching a Broadway shows such as The Lion King, Wicked, Frozen and Alladin and for teens, Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen, and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
- Do not forget to explore and enjoy your thanksgiving at some of the foremost tourist attractions and museums, like the Empire State Building, 9/11 Memorial, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the Museum of Natural History.
- If you are looking for an affordable destination for families in winter Clarksville, less than an hour from Nashville is the best place to spend your thanksgiving. Temperatures are also fairly mild and comfortable at that time of year.
- Thanksgiving week is astounding of the town’s annual Christmas on the Cumberland festival. The one-mile Cumberland RiverWalk is enhanced and sparkled with one-million lights in enchanting displays.
- You can have delicious hot chocolate and also food vendors with lots of meal variations, live concerts, pictures with Santa, and lots of fun. The Downtown Commons park also converts to outdoor ice skating beginning on the Friday after Thanksgiving.
- Clarksville is home to several indoor family entertainment options too. The City Forum is a 120,000 square foot complex with high-speed and family-speed go-karting, 10 lanes of bowling, two stories of laser tag, 18 holes of mini-golf and an arcade filled with the classics and the newest games.
- There are numerous play areas such as Planet 3 Indoor Air Trampoline Park, D&D Blacklight Minigolf, and Clarksville Climbing are some other fun indoor options to enjoy your thanksgiving to the fullest.
Jamestown & Williamsburg, Virginia
- For those looking for traditional thanksgiving dinner, Williamsburg has plenty of restaurants at Colonial Williamsburg including Williamsburg Lodge. If you want to experience historical dining traditions than what can be better than Christiana Campbell’s Tavern.
- Families can appreciate exploring Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Settlement, Busch Gardens, and other attractions in nearby Newport News and Hampton.
- Hamilton fans will also appreciate the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown, which tells the stories of citizens and soldiers during the nation’s founding with comprehensive indoor exhibits and outdoor living-history areas.
- What better place to celebrate thanksgiving than the land where Colonists first settled in America and learn a little history at the same time? Virginia also claims the first thanksgiving.
- Thanksgiving can be celebrated with a feast, the way the original settlers did, at the Foods & Feasts of Colonial Virginia event at the Jamestown Settlement and American Revolution Museum at Yorktown.
- Children can learn how the food was gathered, preserved and prepared by Powhatan Indians and English colonists with clay pots and iron kettles at Jamestown Settlement.
Hilton Head, South Carolina
- Though Hilton Head Island in South Carolina is a great family destination at any time of the year. If you are willing to celebrate Thanksgiving, then this is the peak time to enjoy the weather, the heat and humidity have receded and it is the end of the whirlwind season, delivering the weather usually pleasing.
- Nature plays with beautiful live oaks draped in Spanish moss give the island its opulent character. Underneath the trees, you can ride along miles of bike trails, kayak through the marshes and waterways or go horseback riding. Of course, there are beaches, golf courses and nature to help you out to enjoy thanksgiving with whole fun.
- Beaneries on the island specialize in seafood, low country cuisine, and barbecue, you can often experience traditional Thanksgiving meal. There is an annual community dinner at Hudson’s Seafood House on the Docks.
- Hilton Head commemorates the holiday with a Thanksgiving scavenger hunt, Turkey Trot race, and Caramel Apple Festival.
St. Augustine and Orlando, Florida
- Beside many claims the First Thanksgiving was documented by St. Augustine, it took place there on September 8, 1565, years before the Pilgrims.
- Spanish explorer Don Pedro Mendez de Aviles came ashore in 1565 to claim Florida for Spain and established the first St. Augustine agreement along the shores now known as the Fountain of Youth Archeological Park.
- There are numerous activities and amazing ways to enjoy the city at this time of year, from Old Town Trolley tours, carriage rides, harbor tours, or guided walks
- St. Augustine sparkles brightly with the glow of three million tiny white lights during St. Augustine’s “Nights of Lights” celebration and all this happens during Thanksgiving.
- The Native Timucua Indians in the village they called Seloy used to exist there. One of the first things the Spanish explorers did was assist a meal of celebration and they invited the Timucua Indians to join them. The adjacent Mission Nombre de Dios glorifies the landing with a recreation of the symmetrical heap of Thanksgiving.
Hogwarts at Universal Orlando
- Surprisingly the amazing theme park is the majestic place to enjoy your Thanksgiving Weekend as it breaks the myth of theme parks being crowded and tiring.
- Not only theme parks but there are plenty of other Orlando attractions for both outdoor and indoor enthusiasts that can make for a fun vacation. The weather is pleasant and worthy of spending your thanksgiving.
- It’s wintertime and it feels amazing to enjoy the winter snow and explore this dynamic city without the summer crowds.
- If you talk about Chicago then Christmas is the talk of the town, giving plenty to do in Chicago at Christmas.
- You can enjoy your thanksgiving by sightseeing the Christmas trees around the world at the Museum of Science and Industry, enjoy ice skating on the Maggie Daley Skating Ribbon, and window-shop at the Chicago Christmas Market. From high-end shopping along the Magnificent Mile to the charming Lurie Gardens, there’s something for everyone in Chicago.
- There are a lot of things to do in Chicago take in the view from the SkyDeck at the Willis Tower, visit the Beluga whales at the Shedd Aquarium, and get amazed by the dinosaur bones at the Field Museum.
Santa Monica, California
- Santa Monica is an ideal family destination during Thanksgiving with sandy shores, absolute outdoor spaces, and with a high temperature of 67 degrees in November.
- The idea of being on the beach itself is amazing. Experience being on an eclectic Venice Beach, a fun-loving scene of rollerbladers, cyclists, joggers, and street performers, and the 3.5-mile Santa Monica State Beach which has an iconic landing with a Ferric wheel and a beachfront path for walking and cycling.
- There is a bounty of activities for families on Thanksgiving holiday, which also includes the legendary Santa Monica Beach and Pier.
- Families can also explore the Cayton Children’s Museum, splattering around at the Annenberg Community Beach House or Tongva Park, or traversing the Heal the Bay Aquarium. Enjoy to the fullest at Third Street Promenade as it features street musicians, dinosaur fountains, purchasing, and the Downtown Santa Monica Farmers Market.
- Fun-loving enthusiasts can enjoy bike riding along the beachfront path and strolling through the art and architecture at the Getty Center.
- You will never regret a single moment at Disneyland and California Adventure, or Warner Bros. Studio.
Santa Barbara: Sandy Beaches and a Charming Downtown
- This seaside city is a dreamland of in Southern California, a place for recreation and pampering and your best Thanksgiving. If you are looking for strolls along the waterfront, luxurious spa treatments, delicious meals on outdoor patios than this is the best place for you to enjoy your me-time.
- Santa Barbara has a beautiful downtown, delineated by its classical Spanish-style structures, tile-adorned walkways, and palm-fringed streets.
- You can spend hours exploring the art galleries, open-air markets, and locally owned retail boutiques, just take a break to have some snacks at a sidewalk cafe or a delicious meal at one of the top-notch restaurants.
- The Old Mission Santa Barbara is known as the “Queen of the Missions” due to its graceful architecture beauty with the Santa Ynez Mountains as a backdrop. Embellished with remarkable portraits and precious Native American artifacts.
Places To Go For Thanksgiving All Over The World
- When you plan for the dream destination most beautiful Paris is always on top-notch of everybody’s list. This picturesque dream destination is an amazing place for your Thanksgiving holidays.
- Paris in November is quite vital, with new art exhibits on display and theater performances in the evening.
- Sparkling sunshine, boulevard, incomparable beauty,
- majestic monuments and ambiance of Paris what else can inspire you to make Paris your dream destination.
- While the days are shorter and it is a little cool, the temperatures are warmer than NYC and there is plenty to do inside.
- When you talk about Paris, you need to appreciate the beauty of the ultimate Eiffel Tower, the Louvre Art Museum, Notre-Dame Cathedral, the Paris Fashion Week, French Open Grand Slam and Tour de France some of the extremely popular and exciting attractions for all ages.
- Paris being the most beautiful and populous city of France has a lot of wondrous attractions to add in your list while heading up to Paris.
- So grab your glasses and read on to know more about this beautiful land and its ever-green attractions.
The Canadian Rockies
- The Canadian Rockies make a charming Thanksgiving destination if you like the crisp weather. Johnston Canyon in Banff National Park and Maligne Canyon in Jasper both have ice trails.
- You can make your thanksgiving exciting and thrilling you can relish skiing, snowshoeing, Nordic skiing, dog sledging, tubing and tobogganing, ice skating, and more.
- You can also drift into Calgary and take a shuttle to Banff and then organized tours from there to avoid riding in wintry conditions.
- Enjoy bonfire with a family, sleigh ride, or an elegant afternoon beverage at your stay. The best part is Canada celebrates its Thanksgiving a month earlier so it won’t be peak holiday expenses and become even more affordable.
Whistler, British Columbia
- Whistler, British Columbia is a place for outdoor fanatics, majorly in the winter.
- At the peak of the iceberg, you will have no difficulty filling your intact Thanksgiving weekend.
- Though it is beginning in the ski season, families can enjoy a bounty of activities including winter zip-lining, a peak-to-peak gondola, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, sleigh rides, tubing, dog sledding, treetop adventure courses, and even bungee jumping.
- Though this is not the actual season for you to enjoy the land of Bermuda still you can relish its beautiful pink sand beaches even when it isn’t sunbathing weather.
- You can choose to stay at the beach resort, you can book jaunts to see the historic parts of the island, appreciate the aquarium, some of the many caves, or bike tours to have maximum fun.
- You can also explore nearby locations means you can find short, direct flights from Boston, New York, Washington DC, and Atlanta.
- Even though non-residents can’t rent cars, you can rent small little electric vehicles if you need to get around.
- London is a dreamland and you need to have a perfect length of time to spend in London. No wonder if you are not able to cover whole London in one trip as there are numerous places to explore from palaces to museums to all sorts of Harry Potter experiences, themed afternoon teas, and giant toy stores, there is something for everyone.
- You get all the advantages of London at Christmas without the crowds. Late November is a glorious time to tour London because U.K. schools aren’t on break and accommodation will be more affordable. and you can also celebrate all of London’s holiday festivities like Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- There are lots of activities do in and around Amsterdam, younger kids can also enjoy feasting on pancakes during a canal cruise and exploring the NEMO Science Museum.
- Given the over-tourism that is impacting the city, visiting during the low season is much preferable, even if the weather isn’t ideal. You can plan your Thanksgiving and have some quality time with your family.
- Temperatures are usually in the 40s, with a chance of rain, so dress appropriately, but you won’t run into the same crowds at this time of year.
Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts
- Martha’s Vineyard is certainly one of America’s favorite islands for Thanksgiving.
- If you want to explore vineyard then November is the off-season here, and you won’t have to battle with as many fellow tourists as you would in the summertime.
- Though it is summertime still it can get pretty windy and cold out there in the shallows of the Atlantic, and many of the Vineyard’s graces are out of doors.
- Martha’s Vineyard would make an ideal place to spend Thanksgiving especially if you are looking for someplace charming and familiar.
- There are many incredible walking/biking trails, Oak Bluffs’ colorful gingerbread cottages, lighthouses, and the Cliffs of Aquinnah — just to name a few.
- You’ll find there are plenty of dining options, especially if you want to change it up and have some clam chowder for thanksgiving.
- With the pleasant temperature at any duration, Barcelona makes its way in the list of Thanksgiving holiday destinations, with highs in the 60s and lows in the 50s, with very little rain.
- Explore the Gothic Quarter in the morning and lunchtime eating seafood by the beach. You can also take some time to explore the Costa Brava nearby.
- Barcelona is also another city facing over-tourism, visiting in the off-season is ideal to avoid the crowds.
- Families can traverse the Gaudi wonders in Parc Guell and La Sagrada Familia.
Thanksgiving can be idle at beaches, sunshine, mountains, boulevards, Thanksgiving Arts & Crafts shopping from the perfect place to pick up unique holiday gifts. Make your thanksgiving beautiful and fun with a trip to your favorite destination. Comment below and let us know your best moments of Thanksgiving and your which destination you’ll be choosing for your Thanksgiving holidays.