Things To Do In California- Must Read Before You Visit
When you go for a trip the important question raises in your mind is what are the thing to do and how will enjoy your vacation to the fullest. Same goes with the beautiful state California, visiting and wondering what are the best things to do and recording down in your bucket list while planning your trip to California. Well then this is the article you are looking for including all the fascinating things from the Golden State including Southern California, the Central and Northern California Coast, or if you are a sun worshipper, an outdoor enthusiast, into exhilarating sports, a foodie, or just love road trip and unique attractions this amazing state has all.
Here is the inspiring list to do things in California categorized into two segments of Northern California and Southern California to make your trip once in a lifetime experience.
Best things to do in Nothern California
Northern California has a vast segment to cover and has many activities including amazing attractions to indulge which includes San Francisco Bay, Greater Sacramento, and the Metropolitan Fresno range. Northern California doesn’t provide you a single moment of regret with its mesmerizing attraction including redwood forests, Sierra Nevada, Yosemite Valley, parts of Lake Tahoe, Mount Shasta, and the northern part of Central Valley. Northern California is wine country with a perfect example of beauty and nature. Here is a list of things to do in Northern California.
Seymour Marine Discovery Center
- Interactive Marine Center located in the Joseph M. Long Marine Laboratory, the Seymour Marine Discovery Center in the University of California Santa Cruz, is a marine research and wisdom facility which provides the platform to promote the understanding of oceans and its scientific nature.
- This 20,000-sq. foot visitor center welcomes you to attend the aquarium, where you can touch sharks, sea stars, urchins, crabs, and anemones, see Blue –an 87-foot-long and 18-foot-high whale skeleton- and get closer to the magnificent sea life of Monterey Bay, which is a year-round home year for seals, otters, dolphins, sea lions, birds fishes and much more. You can basically say it’s the earth in water.
- One of the most interesting stuff to do in Northern California is traversing Alcatraz.
- Alcatraz an attractive Island counted to be the home of an abandoned prison, the site of the oldest operating lighthouse on the West Coast of the United States, early military fortifications, and natural features such as rock pools and a seabird colony
- Originally named “the Rock”, is a first a military fort, then a military prison and, until 1963, a federal prison. But now it is a famous national park and has been counted as a National History Landmark.
- If you want to experience the cold, chilling breeze which will actually excite you to the maximum.
Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Monterey Bay is a philanthropic public aquarium in Monterey, California also known for its environmental locus on the marine habitats of Monterey Bay, it obtained the first to exhibit a living kelp forest when it opened in October 1984.
- This is recognized for distributing pure ocean water through pipes from Monterrey Bay, some of its most prominent attractions include the Ocean Edge Wing, a three-story tank home to the first Giant Kelp forest exhibition in the realm, the Open Sea display, which has the largest marine observation window in the world, a million-gallon shark tank, and the jewel jellyfish tank. Monterey Bay Aquarium is one of top California is worth spending your time.
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
- A modern art museum located in California which is situated in The San Francisco is The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.
- It is one of the largest museums in the United States, offering 45,000 square feet of art-filled public spaces.
- Is generous organization, SFMOMA which holds an internationally recognized collection of modern and contemporary art and was the first museum on the West Coast devoted solely to 20th-century art and its collection holds 33,000 objects, including segments on snap shooting, carving, planning, painting, and architecture.
- Do not forget to explore its rooftop garden, which incorporates two open-air spaces and a glass arcade where a rotating selection of indoor and outdoor sculpture is worth showcasing.
California State Railroad Museum
- The California State Railroad Museum is a museum in the state park system of California, United States, representing the role of the “iron horse” that date as far back as the 1860s in connecting California to the rest of the nation. It is located in Old Sacramento at 111 I Street.
- The museum evokes the essential role of these trains played in American society concerning the development of the Golden State and in providing the connection between California and the rest of the country. Counted in main attractions, the Sacramento Southern Railroad journey is worthy enough, which operates between April and October and takes passengers back through time during a 40-minute roundtrip on an old restored engine.
The Triton Museum of Art
- The Triton Museum of Art is the exhibits of contemporary & historical works, with an emphasis on Bay Area artists and is one of Santa Clara’s loveliest cultural gems, originally founded in 1965 by pre-eminent area shepherd and lawyer W. Robert Morgan and his wife June.
- Today, more than 40,000 annual museum guests view its well-curated rotating art exhibitions, which showcase the works of California artists working in a wide variety of media. Do you know Santa Clara County’s first non-university art museum, the museum has operated in its current location since 1967?
Jack London State Historic Park
- Jack London State Historic Park, also known as Jack London Home and Ranch, is a California State Historic Park near Glen Ellen, California, United States, situated on the eastern slope of Sonoma Mountain.
- Take a route to Winery Cottage where London penned countless stories, the House of Happy Walls was constructed in the memory of him by his wife if that is not enough then the Wolf House, which is a 15,000-square-foot house that ignited down just before the Londons moved in.
Palace of Fine Arts
- The Palace of Fine Arts in the Marina District of San Francisco, California, is a monumental construction originally created for the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exhibit in order to exhibit works of art presented there. One of only a few surviving structures from the Exposition, it is still situated on its original site.
- It hosts numerous art exhibits as museum and theater, and must-visit excursion view for tourists and locals, and has been used for multiple purposes such as grand functions, wedding parties, and photography sessions.
Walt Disney Family Museum
- This American museum should be on top-notch priority while visiting California. The Walt Disney is the Family Museum of America that features the life and legacy of Walt Disney.
- Walt Museum being located in The Presidio of San Francisco, part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area in San Francisco.
- You can experience the genius’s mind while traversing the communicative spectators that feature music, films, cartoons, and early drawings, all narrated in Walt’s own voice.
- This place is the perfect combination of inspiration, discovery, and animation altogether, where Walt still lives and his achievements come to life. This amazing place takes you the journey of Mickey, Mini, all your favorite characters.
Winchester Mystery House
- The Winchester Mystery House is considered to be mansion in San Jose, California, that was late back the personal residence of Sarah Winchester, the widow of firearm magnate William Wirt Winchester, with the property once covered 162 acres, though it has now been diminished to 4 ½ acres, simply sufficient to accommodate the house and its outhouses.
- The house flaunts some astonishing figures, including, 40 bedrooms, 160 rooms, two ballrooms, 47 furnaces, 10,000 windows of glass, 17 chimneys, two basements, and three escalators.
- Constructed in 1884, it is counted to be haunted by the ghosts of people killed with Winchester rifles since day one.
Jordan Vineyard and Winery
- A family-owned California winery established in Alexander Valley AVA in Sonoma County is the Jordan Vineyard & Winery and Jordan produces Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon and Russian River Valley Chardonnay so what can be amazing things to do in California other than Wine tasting.
- Jordan Vineyard and Winery is well known for its high-quality Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay varietals. Now, the winery has been open to the public, endeavoring unique Estate Tour and Tasting experiences showcasing the winery’s production methods and areas. You can relish the excellent wines, with food pairings suggested within the facility’s cellar room.
- Do not forget to praise the Rock Wall wine tasting located only 3 miles from downtown Oakland and 15 miles from San Francisco, Rock Wall Wine Company is housed in a converted 40,000 sq. foot winery on the former Alameda Naval Air Base, which was built in 1997
- This exclusive and popular winery sources its grapes from all over California, using different grape varieties and regional flavor contours. Their cabernet sauvignon comes from Napa Valley, Zinfandel from Sonoma County, petite Syrah from Contra Costa County, and chardonnay from the Santa Lucia Highlands.
Napa Valley Balloons, Inc
- If you are in California exploring Napa Valley than how can you not include the Napa Valley Balloons, Inc., in your to-do things list. Company located in the Napa Valley, California, is the oldest balloon company in the area and was founded by Don Surplus in 1978. It is also the leading hot air balloon company in the United States, chosen by many well-known personalities for both its reputation and its excellence.
- Try your adventurous yet luxurious time at Napa Valley Balloons, Inc. with pre-flight coffee, pastries, tea, juice, and fruits.
- Apart from so many facilities still the most fascinating thing is the location of Napa Valley Balloons, Inc. Its pilots have a combined exposure of more than 23,000 flight hours, which makes them the most experienced staff in the valley.
Southern California is well for its sunny weather and dramatic Pacific coastline. San Diego, just north of the Mexican border, is known for surfing spots and massive Balboa Park, with its world-renowned zoo and museums. Here is a list of amazing things to do in Southern California.
Sunnylands Center & Rancho Mirage
- Sunnylands Center & Gardens is the perfect place for the outdoor enthusiast, with its wilderness and greenery never fail to attract tourists towards itself.
- The center warmly welcomes the public and presents tours and interactive educational kiosks, information panels, videos, and art selected from the Sunnylands Collection. Sunnylands constantly strives for multiple varieties of events.
- You can enjoy the various exhibitions such as Asian Artists in Crystal, 20th Century Sculpture as well as a theatre and interactive gallery. Sunnylands Center & Gardens is one of the best things to do in SoCal.
Palm Springs Aerial Tramway
- The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway in Palm Springs, California, is the largest rotating aerial tramway in the world. Inaugurated in September 1963 as a way of getting from the floor of the Coachella Valley to near the top of San Jacinto Peak and was constructed in rugged Chino Canyon.
- You ride in the world´s larger rotating tramcar and also there are guided nature walks, hiking, camping or skiing possibilities in the winter adventure center.
- If that much is not enough then do not worry this place has an enormous thing to do such as cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and snow camping.
- Hearst Castle is a National Historic Landmark and California Historical Landmark situated on the Central Coast of California in the United States.
- William Randolph Hearst involves the joint concept with the publishing tycoon, and his architect Julia Morgan, it was built between 1919 and 1947.
- This grand museum offers you packages to experience what it was like to be a guest in the Enchanted Hill, explore the Upstairs Suites Tour, see architectural wonders, and appreciate the Cottages and Kitchen Tours.
- If you are not satisfied with the day then night time also offers you the night castle view. Not only that you can plan your next coastal vacation and find the Hearst Castle Theater, where you can watch the movie and spent your time lavishly.
Universal Studios Hollywood
- Hollywood’s Universal Studio is a film studio and a fascinating theme park in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles County, California. Well if talk about, around 70% of the studio lies within the unincorporated county island known as Universal City while the rest lies within the city limits of Los Angeles, California.
- Universal Studios Hollywood originated in 1915, when Carl Laemmle, its founder, stepped to the Universal City, as it was called back at that time. Universal Studios has been the topmost attraction with loads of Hollywood fun, movie tours, temptations, and lots more.
- This amazing park has guided tours and experiences of the real working movie studio. You can traverse where Hollywood movies are created, have exceptional 3D experiences and see top celebrities being interviewed.
- Disneyland Park is originally called Disneyland, is the first of two theme parks built at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, opened on July 17, 1955, and is the only theme park designed and constituted to completion under the direct supervision of Walt Disney.
- Disneyland is divided into eight lands U.S.A., New Orleans, Square Mickey’s Toontown, Adventureland, Main Street, Critter Country, Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, and Frontierland how fascinating this can be?
- Its not only a theme park but an emotion to kids and nostalgia for many people. It is an enchanting destination relished by family, friends, and individuals where you can find several attractions for everyone, of all ages. The activities can never go short like exploring jungles, sail with pirates, dive under the ocean, meet beloved fairytale princesses, or have an outer space experience.
- This is an observatory with facilities in Los Angeles, California, sitting on the south-facing slope of Mount Hollywood in Los Angeles’ Griffith Park.
- It also commands on the view of the Los Angeles Basin, including Downtown Los Angeles to the southeast, Hollywood to the south, and the Pacific Ocean to the southwest.
- The observatory has welcomed over 75 million visitors in its time and is sure to see millions more cross its threshold. The observatory is a free recreation for visitors.
- You can feel the whole galaxy on Earth. This amazing observatory has a lot to offer to the planet and galaxy lover. Not only that the observatory also embraces anyone who simply wants to experience the spectacular illustrations of Los Angeles City.
Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- An art museum situated on Wilshire Boulevard in the Miracle Mile vicinity of Los Angeles. LACMA is on Museum Row, adjacent to the La Brea Tar Pits. The Los Angeles County Museum of Art being the largest art museum in the western United States. It attracts nearly a million visitors annually. Founded in 1965 and set on Museum Row, The Los Angeles County Museum of Art also features a collection of more than 150,000 pieces of art dating from antiquity till now. And standing out as the largest art museum in the western United States till date.
- You can pick a creative gift in the souvenir shop or cherish the gourmet food. The museum welcomes everybody with the open arms and interested in seeing the exhibits there is a lot to learn.
- Continous programs for kids and families, art classes and camps, different types of artistic and cultural events, search programs, and much more can make your trip worthwhile. There is no single moment for laziness as these places energize you to the maximum.
San Diego Zoo
- A zoo positioned in Balboa Park, San Diego, California, this The San Diego Zoo is a home to more than 3,500 animals of more than 650 species and subspecies. You can explore and try the botanical tours, the exhibits Animals in Action, Early Morning with Pandas, and Crazy about Cats and many other attractions
- . Do not forget to discover the cart tour, the sunrise surprise stroll as well as exclusive VIP experiences and formal dining. This place is full of luxury and nature.
- There are a number of activities for you to relish such children can take part in the zoo’s educational activities with various programs like the kinder program and wildlife sleepovers.
- Not only that there are various gift shops and takeaways to please your loved ones who are not part of your trip.
Warner Bros. Studio Tour Hollywood
- Warner Bros. Hollywood tour studio is a public attraction situated inside Warner Bros also Studios, Burbank being situated nearby to Hollywood and part of the greater Los Angeles area.
- Movie fans of all ages can go on the Studio History Tour and fall in love with the magic of Hollywood.
- It offers visitors the chance to glimpse behind the scenes of one the oldest and most popular film studios in the world over a two to three hour period.
Environmental Nature Center
- The Environmental Nature Center, being located in Newport Beach and features fifteen ecosystems found in California. These ecosystems include oak woodland, freshwater marshes, desert, and redwood forest among others.
- Originated in 1972, and fascinate you with its seasonal butterfly house, a Nature Museum full of exciting things to examine, nature tents throughout the summer, meandering trails, wildlife habitats, a LEED Platinum certified learning center, school programs, and a quiet setting for people to enjoy their lunch hour.
- There are also programs offered for all ages. A wide variety of educational programming is held at the center throughout the year, classifying from public special events to school outreach programming. This place is a great combination of education and nature and definitely making its way in your list of to-do things in Southern California
California is an amazing state with mesmerizing beauty and never-ending fun. This beautiful land involves nature, chronicles, great breeze, beautiful monuments, loving ambiance. You can even say that this place is the exact definition of sophistication. From Seymour Marine Discovery Center to Napa Valley Balloons, Inc Nothern California has everything cherish. Whereas Southern California is also not a bit less in terms of recreation. From Sunnylands Center & Rancho Mirage to The Environmental Nature Center, this land has its own beauty to define California.
California is an amazing land and is a once in a lifetime experience for everybody at least once should be visited. So what are you waiting for? Pack your bags and with these amazing things-to-do list. Comment below and let us know what are you do in California?